Lately I have been noticing all those beautiful cupcake soaps. I have been itching to try my hand at it but kept chickening out because I am not sure if I can make anything that pretty :o)
I guess one of the reasons why I don’t bake cupcakes for my kids is because I can’t bake for the life of me! I have tried and TRIED, bought books…looked at videos… and even the box ready made kits turn out tasking funny. So…no baking = no piping and decorating skills for sure! So I had just about giving up and decided not to even try.
Then I came across this video of a soaper piping her cupcakes soap and she commented on how she really had never piped cupcakes or cakes until she started making soap. Well that made me sit upright, and before you know it I was taking a look at all those YouTube videos trying to get the hang of it. I broke down and bought the supplies, and started to do a little research. I reviewed the tutorial in the Soap Queen Blog, “Shea Butter Cupcakes” (below is the link if you want to take a peek)
I built some courage and finally decided to try.
I decided to use Brambleberry’s “Fresh Snow” fragrance oil. I must say that I am totally in love with this new scent. Very cool and clean. Brambleberry’s description of the fragrance is the following:
“… fragrance has a crisp heliotrope top with supporting notes of spring water, juniper berry, vetyver and sandalwood “
I love clean scents…and this will definitely be a favorite for some time…but back to the cupcake. I mixed my lye and soaping oils with no problems. I used the tutorial above as a guide to figure out how to divide the soap mix, but I used my own soaping recipe. I decided to use white and blue as my colors. Using titanium dioxide for the white and ultramarine blue for the blue.
I did have a hard time with the piping. My soap mix was not thick enough to pipe. My white mix was pretty ready to pipe but I was having a hard time getting the blue mix to get as thick as the white…and since I don’t have much patience, and not to mention that it was 10:45 p.m. and I did not want to be up all night!…I decided to fill the bag with the mix and give it a try.
Well, it was pretty runny… and I used a small piping bag, to make it more challenging. It just seemed like I could not managed it well in my hands and I was getting soap everywhere! I tried to be as neat as possible and sprinkled it with glitter to hide a bit of the imperfections. My dear husband was kind enough to say they look pretty good. I just kept looking at them and thinking they looked kind of funny :o)
I stuck them in the fridge to prevent gelling and checked on them in the morning. I did notice that for sure the soap batter was not thick enough since they started to lean to the side. They all looked pretty crooked!!! LOL!
Here are a couple of pics ( I must admit that the camera was very nice to them since they look pretty diffent face to face!)
I must admit that now I want to try it again! :o)
Thanks for checking my blog. Happy soaping!