Well, I finally got to start my testing for the Bramble Berry Fragrances.
From my last blog you read that for Fragrance #1 I was getting some type of citrus scent. Nice and light…well, it’s obvious that my nose needs to get checked out since I took the fragrances to work with me and everyone was getting “apples”…”crisp apples”. No citrus.
Well…funny thing, when people start hammering things in your head all of the sudden “citrus” turns into “apples”.
Now here I am with my mystery fragrance #1, which I am calling “crisp apple” :)…
(I will laugh very hard when this fragrance is revealed and there is NO APPLES attached to it!!!)
I have been brainstorming how I am going to do these test, and then Jenny (from I’d Lather be Soaping ) gave me a great idea. Show the results of changes in color due to the fragrance. So I figured I would split the soap in half. Use the same design and color scheme, but use fragrance in one side and not the other, to compare. This also allowed me to use 1/2 of the fragrance oil, which was even better since I plan to do something with no colors.
Since I was thinking of “apples” I figured I tried green and red. Except that I did not have any red, so I went for Ruby Rose Mica. For the green I used Golden Green Mica.
I decided soap at a temperature of about 95-100 degrees. I am happy to report that it did exceptionally well! No acceleration, or ricing what so ever. I even spent additional time mixing in my micas (at least trying to…turns out I needed to do a better job!), and the mixture behaved really well.
Now I was not able to create the flowing swirls, since I accidentally stick blended my mixture too much and ended up adding the fragrance almost at medium trace.
Here are the results:
Now, what I find interesting is that as I was pouring the mix into the mold the portion with the fragrance was a little deeper in color than the side with no fragrance, but once I cut it was the opposite. The side with the fragrance turned lighter and the other side is a little darker. I did gel this soap and the fragrance held up pretty well in the process. It still has the pretty nice, crisp scent. I used the amount of .8 oz per pound of oils.
I enjoyed working with this fragrances, and it really does have a very nice crisp scent 🙂
Here is another pic up close…please ignore the fact that I used too much green mica . I don’t think I blended it really well :O!!!
Next up is Fragrance #2…that’s another story :o|
Thanks for checking out my blog!